Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Strictly Line Up - Live and Unleashed! WooHoo!

And it’s a pretty darn impressive line up of champion sports stars – Joe Calzaghe, undefeated boxing World Champion, paired with Kristina Rihanoff; Martina Hingis, Grand Slam Tennis champion and former world number one is with Mathew Cutler; Jade Johnson (who came close to winning the Sport Relief Strictly with Roger Black), the Commonwealth and European Silver Medallist has Ian Waite; Richard Dunwoody, the champion jockey dances with Lilia Kopylova – and Phil Tufnell, lol! Aw, bless, I love Phil and he did his bit for England! He’s teamed with new dancer Katya Virshilas.

As usual, the Beeb have managed to achieve a fine variation of something for everyone so we have actresses Zoe Lucker, dancing with James Jordan, fellow ex-footballer’s wife Laila Rouass, and Anton Du Beke *crosses fingers or Anton*, Lynda Bellingham with Darren Bennett; Ali Bastian and Brian Fortuna, while Natalie Cassidy pairs up with Vincent Simone.

The Actors: Ricky Groves is with Erin Boag, Ricky Whittle with another new dancer Natalie Lowe and Craig Kelly has Flavia Cacace.

Presenter Rav Wilding is paired with the final new dancer Aliona Vilani, whilst Chris Hollins with Ola Jordan. Finally, estranged wife of the Rolling Stone’s Ronnie Wood, Jo, has Brendan!

I’ve never known so many of the rumours to be true! And with changes to the format too – for the better for a change! The first two weeks there’ll be a Friday night show with eight couples performing a waltz or tango, then on the Saturday they’ll perform a cha cha or rumba – so we get the chance to see them perform both styles before deciding our favourite – and those less adept at one style or another aren’t on the backfoot straight away. The judges scores are combined, we vote, then the dance off is still between the bottom two as before. The only slight concern is in the event of a draw – the Beeb haven’t made it too clear how it’s decided who goes into the dance off, just that no-one is safe! You know what- I’m not even going to worry about it – it’s a fab line up and those first two weeks will be very close. Like I said: WooHoo! It’s Back!

Arlene still has a role to play, having apparently been offered a choreography role for group dances and pundit appearances on It Takes Two.

So You Think You Can Dance Canada have also announced their Top 20, who'll vye for the title of Canada's Favourite Dancer.

8 comments:

  1. The press release comment about how 'no one is safe with this years new format' worries me Scatty. What have they changed so that no-one is safe? If you're top with the judges, but still not safe that makes the judges scores pointless doesn't it?

    Unless of course they are making it sound more than it is and in reality the top scorers with the judges are safe (and we all know it), but the beeb are tring to build tension :o)

    Like the double dance before someone goes twist. Seeing them dance twice before the final vote will give a better impression :o) Wondering how they are going to fairly split them though if not by sex...hmmmm, we'll see about that one.

    Can't wait for new series now!! :o) While I'm thinking of it - do you know if the music thread is running yet Scatty? Got lots of ideas floating round in my head ready for the old gang :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya - I was thinking - it's probably along the lines of (eg)when 4 couples left scores are 4-3-2-1- but if a draw ensued it could be 4-3-3-1? (which I've always thought unfair to the bottom one) so maybe they're going to choose who gets the 3 and who gets the 2, like at Christmas - that way, if there's a four way tie at the top, a couple could end up mid table and therefore not safe! My only concern with that of course, is that the judges faves will always be put at the top and our faves struggle :( Having said that, the two two faves with the public should still get through as long as no-one pulls out! I'm assuming they mean in the event of a tie on the judges scoreboard before the public vote. I think I probably should have put this is in a post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I didn't even get to the music thread - I've still not managed to sign in - may have to re-register, I tried but it wouldn't let me be scattyjan - so will try it again as scattyjazz! There was a general music thread for discussion I think, but not one like we had last year - you'll have to start it off foxy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep trying Scatty! I think the new (and supposedly improved *cough cough*) website is having issues. I haven't spoken to a single person who has signed in problem free. Took me four goes!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have started the Music Choices therad Scatty! :o)

    You'll have to help me keep it going until the rest of the gang turn up - Ale, Mrmerengue and co. :o)

    Have put on a few controversial choices to get things going. Think my Tango isn't going to appeal to many people! Lol :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha - dare to be different, why not! I signed in at last (after realising the username is not my shown name *rolls eyes* but it still won't let me go any further, even after the email was verfified. P'raps I've been banned!

    So I may well have to change my name - I'll keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much dancing, so little time! I wish I could see SCD and SYTYCD Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second that emotion! I don't understand why they won't let the vids play outside of Canada!

    I look forward to the time they do an SYTYCD Britain!

    ReplyDelete