Sunday, 8 December 2013

A double dose of Strictly speaking

Apologies that I'm lacking seriously behind - old job, new job, temp job, home, family, birthday curries - oh, hang on: Life in general! But it did give me a chance to approach the week 10 and the quarter final slightly differently.

Basically, I've got my own leader board based on the last two weeks and this is how it stands: Abjaz ftw! Maybe.



Now what this tells me is: I'm very fickle and really can't decide. And that maths really isn't my strong point (but at least I show my workings out!) And I need handwriting lessons.

But we're at that stage now where there are no bad dancers (hence the 4 way tie from last night). I enjoyed Marketa's samba too, but it seemed a bit rubbing-his-nose-in-it to shove them at the bottom on a '1', with them having lost out to Asha last week.

Abjaz, by virtue of a very enjoyable salsa with lots of attack and energy, a dramatic VW with gorgeous choreographical touches, and a very creditable showing in the Swingathon, take top spot.

Asha next, as their salsa was soooo dangerous and totally full on - and that leap where he pulled Ola down by her neck?! Tricky and a major WOW, plus plenty of dance content again, backed up with a majorly underscored Swingathon place. The rumba, well, that's always the dodgy one to get on musicals weekend, but I thought it believable and romantic. And he made it through, so yay!

Patya are in third, due mainly to their wonderful charleston - the only routine out of all of them that I've played twice. An absolute joy. And their rumba was dramatic and masculine, with added hip action! The swingathon, for me, looked a bit flat footed.

Artalie next, although overall my least favourite - but only because I do like to see a journey. Sorry, but I do. And there, I've said it out loud. Whatcha gonna do? They were definitely tops in the Swingathon, which you can only judge on technique, but their American Smooth had barely any hold section and therefore seemed very much like their VW - all lovely wafty arms and beautiful lines - but their Paso I thought was fabulous and probably my favourite of theirs to date. Constant flow and movement and Flamenco touches to a traditional song. But you get the impression she could've done that right from week one, and that's the problem I have. It's mine, I'll deal with it.

Kevanna I'm very surprised to see down in 5th, because I think she's a fabulous performer. The AT was sharp and full of attack, with very neat footwork. The quickstep was bright and lively, a killer song interpreted brilliantly, the out of hold stuff was wonderful, and, although there was major footwork fluffing and so nearly a disarrrrster at the end, she sold it beautifully as usual. But the Swingathon looked dreadful, the little we saw of it.

Brenphie simply don't deserve to be at the bottom but then, who does? Loved the VW, and the tango storytelling was great - she's coming to life again. Middle of the pack in the Swingathon.

It's anybody's game and anybody's guess who's going, staying and who'll make it to the final. The public are very hard to read so we really don't know who their real favourite is.

We'll have a better idea after the results tonight - 7.20pm, BBC1.

2 comments:

  1. Well now, were you expecting that Scatty?! Have to say that I wasn't , but I was pleased with the audiences decision to put Patrick down there. For me his swing-a-thon was well below Ashley, Sophie and Abby and his Rumba was not even close to a 10. He's become one of the people that I just can't warm to because I can't help thinking he's been overmarked for far too long - although I do agree with you on his Charleston. That was fab! :o) Shame Ashley had to lose out - think he deserved to go to the Semi's really.

    Agree with you on Natalie too. Can't deny she has beautiful movement and posture, but she's gone nowhere, so I'm not supporting her I'm afraid.

    Abby has turned into the suprise package this year for me. Probably the most improved dancer to my eye - she seems ot have come such a long way and whilst she grates on me a little I wouldn't begrudge her the win. :o)

    Sophie too I think has come on a really long way from the beginning and is starting to loosen up a bit more a la Louis Smith, which only improves her technique further :o)

    I know it's wrong, but my favourite is Susannah and my lovely kevin (I suspect Kevin has a bigger role in that than I'd ike to admit!). The dance purists would lynch me if they knew I voted multiple times on saturday to keep them in! Lol

    Two dances each this week - come on Abby and Susannah! Show em what you've got girls!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong about voting Kevanna, they've done brilliantly :)

    ReplyDelete