Sunday, 3 June 2012

Lovely Leanne is The Voice!

Team Tom won the inaugural series of The Voice, with Leanne Mitchell blowing away the opposition.


It wasn't so much that the hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stood up, it's that they were holding candles and swaying too. Leanne, as I thought, performed a cracking version of It's a Man's World, followed with Mama Told Me Not To Come, more than holding her own with the original Voice himself, Sir Tom, and then somehow managed to improve on last week's performance of Run To You.


You see, as I said before - the bookies haven't got a clue, they're completely out of touch with how we view these shows. Bo and Tyler made the mistake of Wanting To Win So Badly After A Difficult Year - the public don't respond to that in the final rounds, not like they do during the early stages. It's the humble and likeable Someone Who Doesn't Know How Good They Are that we like. The trouble being, we all have crap years and many, many people go through the same s***. So if you're going to revamp, Auntie, that's the stuff you need to cut out.

As it happens, I'm not swayed on either count - other than believing Leanne to be the loveliest, most normal contestant ever, in any reality show, with the gift of a voice bestowed by elves and angels - I really liked Bo, Tyler and Vince too. All so different and will all - if their coaches are to be believed - now get a real leg-up into the industry.

On the night, apart from Leanne, Bo also impressed (it was 3-2 from me votes wise) with a strong and emotional Nothing Compares 2U. The risky duet of Read All About It totally worked, with Danny giving Bo centre stage and a huge finish - the energy generated could have powered the whole lighting rig. Probably. Then a repeat of Charlie Brown and it was only this v Run To You which split them for me. Still a great performance but, well, see above.


Tyler did a great job with I'll Be There and here's the thing - I prefer his full voice, I actually don't like the falsetto much, which has stopped him becoming a favourite of mine. I'm not convinced, as it doesn't sound particularly pure to me. But I enjoyed the grooviness of OMG and the subtlety of Higher Love. Nicely done, but not winners.

Vince, sadly, didn't deliver the emotional performance I was expecting from Many Rivers to Cross. Still a great vocal but no candle waving arm hairs. And unfortunately for him, the duet with Jessie had far too much Jessieness in it: what he did, he did well but he was lost beside Jessie. That's a compliment to Jessie, by the way, not a criticism - although if back next year, she may want to think like Danny and do something not associated with her, to temper her input. I'm wondering what song Vince would have sung if he'd made it through to the final bit - I would like to hear Like A Virgin again, so maybe that'll be on the album!

What is it with a man and guitar? Ed Sheeran had us all in tears, unless you're a robot, with Small Bump. Such a beautiful, sad song. Maroon 5 had me dancing in the armchair as did the coaches with their greatest hits medley of It's Not Unusual/Breakeven/Price Tag/Where is the Love. And then we had our winner announced and I'm left wondering why the hell I hadn't got Leanne in my top 10 to begin with ...

So now the inquest has begun into how they can improve the show. Personally, I loved the combination and rapport of the judges, and I don't see a need to change the format as such. The viewers dropped when they brought the time forward - post 7pm is the way to go, please, as those of us with kids to feed end up watching on I-player. And Holly - love her to bits, but for god's sake give her something to say instead of repeating the same 'how do you feel' questions. Let the judges and contestants say it in a VT so we don't get the ums and ah's or in Will's case, nothing. We don't need filler - we're quite happy for the show to be half an hour shorter, really. If you must have some filler, give us a blooper reel, or a TV Burp type effort, with a comedian providing a commentary (Hugh Dennis, I'm looking at you.) There you go Danny, sorted :)

Catch all the performances again on the official BBC website here. Apply for Series 2 here!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I voted for her twice - her performance of It's A Man's World was enough to convinve me she deserved to win :o)

    Suprised Vince came fourth in spite of the more down played solo performance than the others.

    I bumped Leanne out of my top ten at the last minuite for Lindsay *face palm*

    I hope they don't chnage too much - so what if the viewing figures weren't 10 miliion - it works fine as it is. Too many chnages will wreck a newborn show :o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think they ought to give it a chance first - and I'm sure changing the time affected the figures, I know I didn't watch live when they brought it forward. And I don't see any reason to change the coaches, they all brought something to it. We're bereft now Foxy, I don't think we've got anything again now till Strictly starts again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Scatty! I'm really not sure how I'm going to fill my evenings ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame on you BBC The Voice, where is the PR and Marketing for Leanne???? When Susan Boyle won the audition on X Factor it was TV, Radio, Newspapers etc etc. She won as she was the most talented singer- end of! Leanne could be a brilliant export for Britain and what do they do (apart from very little it seems)stick the wrong song on ITunes (Should have been Mans World or Spell on you)then sit back and hope it will sell - sack the PR and Marketing team and back this incredible singer who was voted by the public and supported across the world. Pathetic really pathetic BBC have you not learnt anything - you have insulted her now its time it make amends or don't bother running another show. Incidentally how raced was the end of the show? Were you tha desperate to close it, apart from a quick word from Tom and Leanne nothing! It would have been nice to hear from some of the audience as well as the judges. Disappointed BBC you have let the winner down badly shame on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been quite low key hasn't it? You should contact them on their blog, Anon and see if they respond. The contact button is at the bottom :) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00k96j4

    ReplyDelete