Tuesday, 20 March 2012

The Voice: Reggie Yates Interview

Reggie Yates is known to music lovers throughout the country for his Radio 1 Request and Chart shows, Glastonbury, Reading, T-in the Park and Big Weekend coverage, and hosting the MOBO Awards. He’s also appeared on Move Like Michael Jackson, Famous, Rich and in the Slums and presented three music specials for MTV.


When you landed the job, what was your reaction?
I was so pleased. Amazing. I saw this show when it was first on in America as I was out in LA at the time and I was really intrigued by it all. Then when the call came through, it all felt so surreal. I am so excited about copresenting The Voice UK. Nervous too, but mostly excited.
Do you get on well with Holly?
Yes. I met Holly a very long time ago and we know a lot of the same people. It’s great to finally be doing a show together. She is great fun.
You’ve already recorded the auditions. Were you bowled over by the talent or disappointed?
The artists are amazing and the talent is far better than anyone expected. The standard is really good. It’s a big deal for the artists and they all want to become a recording musician rather than be famous.
Had you met the coaches before?
I have interviewed Jessie, Danny and Will three or four times for both radio and TV and I have seen Tom several times in concert. I think people are going to be very surprised about how competitive they all get.
Who is the most competitive?
I don’t want to say too much but they all really fight for which of the artists they want to get to be in their team.
What do you think of the coaches?
Brilliant. They are all so experienced. Jessie is hilarious, Tom is sweet, Will is cool and Danny is such a nice guy.
What are you looking forward to most?
I can’t wait for the public to see the first programme. They will be able to see what it is like and hopefully think ‘wow, this is going to be awesome’.
Do you get nervous doing live TV?
I have been doing television for 21 years now, so yes you get a little buzz when you go on stage but I don’t get too nervous. I am a great believer in doing programmes that I feel passionate about. I am so passionate about The Voice. It is different and new.
Will you be giving up the radio job?
Of course not! I love doing my programme for Radio 1 and it’s a really exciting time for me as the Chart Show is going visual. I am also making some TV documentaries this year and I am going to be doing some TV and radio for the Olympics. That’s going to be so exciting.
2012 is shaping up to be a great for you…
Yes it is but I am not the type to think about ‘what next?’ as it would be foolish. I just want to make sure I do a good job on The Voice UK. I think people will be surprised by what The Voice UK has to offer. Whatever happens, people will walk away with a fantastic experience and amazing advice. I really do feel so lucky as I love my job.


No comments:

Post a Comment