Wednesday, 26 January 2011

South Bank Sky Arts Award: Times Breakthrough Award

The Times Breakthrough Award is given to the best new artistic talent and was awarded to the band Everything Everything, by actress Andrea Risborough. The other nominees were: Greg Davies (Comedy); Nicholas Collon (Classical Music); Brian Maloney (Dance); Clio Barnard (Film); Neel Mukherjee (Literature); Pumeza Matahikiza (Opera); Andrew Scott (Theatre); Michelle Dockery (TV Drama) and Simon Fujiwara (Visual Arts).

I was fortunate enough to meet the band's manager too, Duncan Ellis... or rather Drunken Ellis, who had already been on the stuff that I partook of later, I reckon - the Melvyn Bragg cocktail comprising, I'm told: vodka, lychee juice, ginger beer and spring onions. Not a combo I'd normally go for but it was delicious, very refreshing and fruity and consequently, three of them in one hour resulted in numb lips and a fuzzy view of the proceedings in the hospitality room.

Duncan was pretty made up at his boys winning and, with girlfriend and mum both absent, I was nearest - cue hugging. Aw, bless, under the circumstances, I was happy to oblige - not every day I get cuddles from a young fit bloke. But you're lucky I'm no bunny boiler Duncan!

I pondered how I'd get home over an enormous white wine spritzer in the other bar, the hotel's very own, very funky bar, considering how classic everywhere else is in the Dorchester. It may have been my eyes. My eyes! I really must try to remember where I left them ...

No comments:

Post a Comment